Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Open Letter to Neil Cavuto

Neil Cavuto ended today's broadcast by downplaying the significance of CT Senatorial candidate Richard Blumenthal who lied openly and repeatedly about his military service during the Vietnam War. Blumenthal claimed to have served in Vietnam when he didn't.

We have learned something important since the days I served in Vietnam. - Connecticut AG Richard Blumenthal in 2008.

Neil,

I like your show. I like your perspectives but if I was hearing you correctly at the end of today's broadcast I think you got it dead wrong. I could talk about the death of a thousand cuts and the persistent campaign on the left to lower our expectations and standards but these are not the most important reason you are wrong on this one.

This is much bigger than you think it is. Lies about military service are unacceptable. I served in the military with Reagan as my Commander-in-Chief and although we came close two or three times, thanks in no small part to a strengthened U.S. military presence and a resolute President I was never deployed as part of a hostile mission. I never faced the enemy on the battlefield and the reason military veterans who have been on battlefields respect me is because I don't belittle the significance of their service by telling lies about mine. And it's not something you do by accident either, getting caught up in the emotion of giving an extemporaneous speech. Trust me, it is just not done, EVER. Perhaps only those who are part of the military fraternity and have been touched by the traditions and held themselves to that same code of honor can fully understand. Richard Blumenthal apparently cannot.

Neil, this speaks to character and that should matter even for someone wanting to represent the people of Connecticut. Anyone from any party affiliation running for elected office from the county dog catcher to U.S. Senator is asking for the people's trust. Someone who violates the trust of his own brethren from that sacred military fraternity just to score political points has demonstrated that he can and will violate the trust of voters and constituents for his own comfort, convenience and personal gain.

You may find this kind of personal defect acceptable in our elected officials. I most certainly do not.

Neil, you are to the left of Newsweek on this one . . . NEWSWEEK!
http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thegaggle/archive/2010/05/19/why-blumenthal-s-vietnam-lies-matter.aspx

George Hackett nails it when he calls Blumenthal's lie "uniquely heinous".

James L.
Austin, TX
3/505th P.I.R. '86-'89

P.S.
I can think of a few others already on Capitol Hill using a falsified personal narrative to advance their agenda.

No comments: